It’s the time of year when the auto industry’s newest offerings are announced, and GM’s 2020 sports cars are drawing string reactions. While the 2020 Corvette Stingray has been a media darling ever since its announcement, many critics find the 2020 Chevrolet Camaro to be lacking in a few key areas. Are these cars worth the price tag? Do they do justice to the brand’s legacy? Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of GM’s latest sports cars.
2020 Corvette Stingray
This 8th generation mid-engine stunner looks like an exotic machine that should cost much more than $60,000. The low, wide body, slanted headlights, and oversized air ducts are reminiscent of a Ferrari rather than an American muscle car – a fact that has split Corvette enthusiasts into “love it” and “hate it” camps. The 2020 Stingray also comes in a hardtop convertible (a first for Corvettes) starting at $66,400.
- Amazing Body. Even those who wish the Stingray had stayed closer to its muscle car roots must admit the new design is magnificent. This car looks like art in motion. Even the door handles are hidden to produce a seamless exterior.
- Variety. You can choose from the most affordable 1LT package, the 2LT that comes with more comfort and convenience options, or the 3LT – the pinnacle of luxury. There are several interior configurations and 13 seat colors to choose from.
- Performance. The 2020 Corvette delivers 495 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful production Stingray ever. It’s been clocked at a top speed of 194 mph on the racetrack.
- Fair Price. Starting just under $60,000, the newest Stingray is priced similarly to the outgoing model.
- Fake Engine Noises? It’s true: the 2020 Stingray pipes in fake engine noises to enhance the driving experience. According to Chevrolet’s response, some engine sounds are lost during the drive and need to be supplemented in order to be audible. Adding these frequencies in through the speakers “results in an engaging and visceral driving experience”.
The 2020 Corvette Stingray’s announcement was one of the most anticipated auto events of the year. Now that the car is in pre-order status, fans are holding their breath waiting to drive it for the first time. Time will tell whether it lives up to the huge hype, but everything looks good so far!
2020 Chevrolet Camaro
The 6th generation of the Camaro has a retro look that makes it feel like an old-school muscle car, but it performs like the newest generation of racing machines. With choices ranging from the LS’s 275-horsepower 6 speed to the ZL1’s 650-hp V-8, the newest Camaro delivers power, agility, and superior handling starting at just $25,000.
- Performance. The explosive speed of the SS and ZL1 models is a major selling point for this new Camaro. The base 6.2-liter V-8 goes from 0 to 60mph in just 4.0 seconds, and SS models have cooling and brakes for track performance. The ZL1’s 650-hp V-8 offers cuts the 0-60 mph time to 3.5 seconds and has a top speed of 198 mph.
- The Interior. The front of the vehicle’s interior has been designed to provide the best, most ergonomic driving and shifting experience. It sports thickly bolstered seats, contrast stitching, and a slew of digital controls. You can also opt for a flat-bottomed steering wheel.
- Visibility. The Camaro’s body takes up a lot of space; its walls are high and its roof is low, leaving little room for front and rear windshields. Some drivers have said the car is hard to see out of.
- Space Concerns. While the front seats are impressive, the rear seat is tiny and seems almost like an afterthought. While you could technically squeeze two people back there, the 2020 Camaro feels more like a two-seater. The trunk is also criticized for being too small.
If you want a roomy car with lots of trunk space, there are better options. But who buys a Camaro for the trunk space anyway? For a fast, powerful sports car, the 2020 Chevrolet Camaro fits the bill at an affordable price.
Protect Your Dream Car with DC Clear Auto Bra
DC Clear is run by car lovers who understand how important it is to keep your vehicle in good shape, inside and out. Whether you’re driving a new sports car or a classic beauty, keep its paint pristine with one of our XPEL paint protection films. Call us any time to learn more, and schedule a consultation while you’re at it!